The Pastor of Youth and Young Adults is responsible for the direction and oversight of the Youth and Young Adults Ministry within the Winnipeg Evangelical Free Church (WEFC). This includes the development and implementation of programming for the spiritual formation and maturation of youth and young adults, as well as equipping parents to fulfill their calling as spiritual leaders of, and Christian examples to, their youth and young adults.
Essential Job Responsibilities
1. Main responsibilities in the area of Youth and Young Adult Ministry (80%)
- Provide leadership, direction, training and oversight of the entire Youth and Young Adults Ministry.
- Be responsible for partnering with others for the spiritual, social and mental development and well-being of young people connected to youth and young adults ministry by providing pastoral care, programs, activities, individual and family support, and by referring to professional counselors where necessary.
- Be responsible for coordinating, recruiting, training and holding accountable a team of mentors to be engaged in the role of discipleship within the ministry.
- Teach biblically based messages and create environments, activities and programming that will facilitate learning, discussion, community, and fun during the weekly evening and Sunday morning Programs and will encourage spiritual growth.
- Lead the youth and young adults on short term mission experiences.
- Gather feedback from people invested in the ministry (young people, parents, adult mentors) regarding the effectiveness, development and direction of the ministry.
- Keep current with best practices and resources that support Youth and Young Adult Ministries as well as with the trends and issues relevant to young people, through participation in ongoing spiritual and professional development.
- Be responsible for creating a family friendly ministry that partners with parents in the development and growth of their youth and young adults. This would involve, but not be limited to, communication, home visitation and prayer ministry.
- Recruit and oversee all ministry volunteers and part-time staff, providing leadership, training, and appreciation.
- Recruit, encourage and develop new volunteers for the youth and young adults ministry.
- Develop new programs and missional opportunities to reach out to and engage the youth and young adults of the congregation and community.
- Work with the Lead Pastor and other pastoral staff as an integrated team to effectively live out the WEFC ministry vision and to avoid ministry “silos”.
- The ability to preach during Sunday morning services is desirable.
- Be responsbile to maintain the following adminstrative tasks:
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Meet weekly with, and report to, the Lead Pastor who will provide oversight, guidance, mentoring and prayer
- Communicate with the Office Administrator regarding special requests such as space bookings, website pages, printing, etc.
- Manage the youth and young adult database, which includes all relevant information regarding youth and young adults who attend the ministry events.
- Prepare and submit an annual budget, and maintain ministry spending accordingly
- Track and submit expenses in a timely manner
- Ensure that ministry reports are produced for Board and Congregational meetings
- Participate in planning of special church events including congregational meetings, welcome lunches, church picnics, etc.
- Ensure completion of volunteer forms and that a current Police Record Check is on file.
2. Secondary Responsibilities (20%) – to be agreed upon prior to hiring
- Fulfilling ministry needs within WEFC based on gifting. Examples include:
- Involvement in leading worship services on Sunday mornings
- Creating and maintaining social media presence
- Developing and displaying advertising in and around the church
- Technology services
- Active personal relationship with Jesus Christ, evidenced by action, attitude and behavior.
- Passion for youth and young adult ministry, and to see families grow in their faith together.
- Previous experience with direction and administration of Children’s, Youth or Family Ministries.
- Demonstrated abilities in areas of administration, organization and time management.
- Experience in recruiting, motivating, equipping and scheduling volunteer leaders to minister to youth, young adults and families.
- Experience in designing and developing youth and young adult ministry programs.
- Effective communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal).
- Demonstrated ability to understand and relate to youth and their families and a passion to see families grow in their faith together.
- Ability to reach out and connect with families within WEFC
- A working knowledge of web and Microsoft Office applications is preferred.
- Love for God and a desire to see Christ glorified
- Committed Christ-follower who feels a call by God into full-time ministry
- Love for youth, young adults and families
- Gift of teaching and leadership; a strong leader with a solid work ethic and a ministry mindset
- A relational individual with the ability and inclination to lead and develop volunteers
- A commitment to the statement of faith of the Evangelical Free Church of Canada.
- A commitment to carry out the mission of WEFC to “Experience Christ Jesus Together” as we pursue “Intimacy with God, Commitment to each Other, Connection to our World”
- A commitment to adhere to the WEFC Staff Code of Conduct
- Minimum one year of previous experience directing a children’s, youth or young adults ministry, including leadership of ministry staff (full or part-time staff members and/or a volunteer team).
- Related Degree or Diploma is required; a divinity degree is desirable.
- A combination of related experience and/or post secondary education may be considered in lieu of a Degree
This position reports to the Lead Pastor
- Full time position
- Salary to be determined based on past experience and education
- Eligible to participate in the WEFC benefit plans
- Two weeks paid vacation
If you are feeling that God is calling you to this exciting new opportunity, please forward your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, July 30.