|The doors of WEFC are open. Its people are like you. Coming from a variety of walks of life, we gather to consider Christ’s claim on us. Improvement is not what we are looking for; transformation is. The relevance of God’s Word in explaining Jesus Christ and His ways is why we gather. |
The Winnipeg Evangelical Free Church at 500 Lagimodiere opened its doors on June 3, 2001. This, though, was not the beginning. Five decades earlier in 1957, a church was born in a new subdivision, Windsor Park.
Winnipeg Evangelical Free Church was originally called Windsor Park E.F.C. The church began as a result of the vision of the Emmanuel Mission Church (today Emmanuel EFC) of Steinbach, Manitoba. A number of young people, attendees of the Steinbach church, were moving to Winnipeg. The new church, to be built under the supervision of C. K. Reimer, would provide a place of worship for them as well as for outreach into a new area.
The sod turning for the original facility at the corner of Autumnwood and Cottonwood, occurred in the spring of 1957. The first service took place with forty-five people in attendance at Sunday School, November 17, 1957. It was not until a year later that the church was formally organized at a November 8th meeting. Initially the church met only in the basement. In 1959 the main floor was completed and the congregation moved upstairs. A major renovation and expansion took place in 1969. The existing facility was expanded to include a larger foyer, nursery, office space, kitchen and gymnasium.
The founding pastor, Rev. Melvin Loge, served the congregation until 1959. The church, over the years has been served by the following pastors: Rev. James Westman, Rev. Richard Yohn, Rev. Kenneth Nelson, Rev. Paul Bryers, Rev. Jamie MacDonald and Dr. Jack Buekema.
In August of 2000, the church began construction at its present site. Many volunteered their labor over the nine months of construction. Time spent shovelling dirt, pouring concrete, pounding nails, sweeping, putting up drywall and painting served to bring the WEFC family together. Plans are progressing for an expansion to the north. This new addition will house our sanctuary and additional education space. We also celebrated our 50th Anniversary in November 2007. We had a number of former pastors and guests from years gone by.
This new facility is functional and enjoyed by those attending, however it is just a facility. The real reason as to why the people of WEFC have invested time and resources is ministry. A variety of ministries are offered, but each aims to establish the value and power of Jesus Christ. This place is designed to be more than a collection of bricks and boards. It is designed to see people coming face to face with the one and only living Lord Jesus. Together these people work in cooperation, under Christ’s leadership.
Join us, a needy people, coming to God who is able to give us what is necessary.
See our Distinctives...